Monday, December 1, 2008

Pumpkin Ravioli with Sage Brown Butter Sauce

It was a week of everything pumpkin; pumpkin cookies, pumpkin pies, and pumpkin ravioli. I couldn't find a recipe that I really liked so I mixed a bunch of different recipes together. I did not make my own pasta. This was a personal choice, I have never wanted to make my own pasta. You can buy perfectly good wonton/ egg roll wrappers at the grocery store that serve the same purpose and are much less labor intensive than making your own pasta. However, if you are a glutton for punishment, feel free to make your own pasta. For the sauce I went simple, butter, sage, salt, pepper and a bit of red pepper, next time I would add enough sage so there was one sage leaf for each ravioli.

I began by making my filling. I mixed the pumpkin, ricotta cheese, tomato paste, nutmeg, cinnamon, brown sugar, salt and pepper together. Now that I think about it, an egg may have been a good idea, but I didn't have any issues with the filling staying together.

Next I cut my egg roll wrappers in half. I couldn't find wonton wrappers, so I had to substitute with eggroll wrappers. Once I put a full teaspoon of filling in the center I ran a wet finger around the edge of the pasta to help seal the pasta. I dropped the pasta and cooked until done in salted boiling water. I can't say how long really, just test the pasta to be sure it is cooked.

You want the sauce finished and waiting for the pasta. I melted a stick of butter and 14 sage leaves in a pan and let it go brown, not dark brown, but just brown. The sage leaves get crisp and are quite yummy with the ravioli. I added salt, pepper, and red pepper to the butter. As the raviolis finished cooking I dropped them into the sage brown butter sauce. Plate and enjoy!



INGREDIENTS

1.5 cups pumpkin puree
.5 cups ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons tomato paste
salt, pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (grated fresh from an actual nutmeg if you can)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon brown sugar

No comments: