Friday, July 4, 2008

Cowboy Caviar by Finny

I was lucky to attend a birthday party for a 1 year old. The birthday boy's mom, Irish, did a great job as hostess and chef! One of the apps she had out was a corn and black bean "caviar". I could not get the chips loaded with this salsa in my mouth fast enough. I am sure people were watching in horror as I stuffed my face. It turns out she got the recipe from Finny, another friend. Finny went on to tell me it was a Weight Watchers recipe so I figured I could finish off the bowl of the "caviar"!

There are many different variations of this "caviar". You can really add what you like and leave out what you don't like. I would recommend getting the GOYA brand of black beans. I bought the Stop & Shop brand figuring it wouldn't make a difference. It does. The S&S brand beans are a bit "muddy" and color the "caviar". Don't forget to rinse your beans before you add them to the mix. I happen to like a higher ratio of corn to black beans.




INGREDIENTS

2- 16 oz cans black beans rinsed & drained
1- 16 oz can of corn
1- 11 oz can of corn
about 1 cup of red onion
1 bunch of chopped cilantro (or to taste)
1/2-3/4 cup of ranch dressing
juice of 1 lime
Mix everything together, taste for seasoning and chill. Serve with chips.


No comments: