Sunday, March 16, 2008

Corn Chowder by eye


When I bake I measure, when I cook I throw things together until it looks/tastes good. While I was preparing this chowder I knew I was going to put it in my blog, that forced me to measure, a little. Since I cook by eye I also end up with lots of whatever it is I'm making, that is what happened here.
INGREDIENTS
1/4 pound salt pork fat back
1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
5 small/medium potatoes, I scrub them and leave the skin on, cubed
1 14.5 oz can of white corn, save liquid
1 14.5 oz can of yellow corn, save liquid
1 14.5 oz can of creamed corn
2 cups of vegetable broth
2 cups of milk
1/2 cup of cream
1 teaspoon of chives
1/8 teaspoon of dill
METHOD
I began by rendering the salt pork. Cook it in a stock pot over medium heat until it is golden brown, drain it on paper towel. Add a bit of vegetable oil and saute the onions. This will help to get the yummy bits off the bottom of the pan. If you have some white wine you might want to add a bit of this too.
Once the onions are soft add your garlic and your cubed potatoes, stir. Add the broth and the liquid from the corn, the potatoes should be covered, if they aren't add just enough water to cover them. Turn the heat to high and boil the potatoes, cook until they are just tender. Add milk, cream and the spices, along with salt and pepper to taste. I let this simmer for another 15ish minutes. Serve with corn bread and butter.

No comments: