Sunday, March 16, 2008

Dom's Mom's Meatballs

Dom's Mom's Meatballs
These are my favorite meatballs. I didn't realize how much I loved them until my mother stopped making them in favor of store bought frozen meatballs. Not that the store bought meatballs were bad, but I had the taste of these meatballs and they are wonderful.
Source: Dom's Mom's Meatballs Eat This by Dom De Luise.

INGREDIENTS
2 pounds ground chuck
1/2 pound of ground pork
2 cups Italian-flavored bread crumbs
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup fresh parsley chopped
1 cup grated cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped very fine
1 onion, minced
1/2 cup pignoli (pine nuts) (optional)

METHOD
Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Let stand 1/2 hour. Shape into medium-size meatballs. Fry gently in olive oil until lightly browned, or place on foil on a cookie sheet and bake for 1/2 hour at 35o degrees.Gently place in your own hot spaghetti sauce and cook on medium-low heat for 1 hour.(Dom's note) P.S. What I like to do is quadruple the recipe (you'll have about 100 meatballs) and then place the meatballs on large Teflon baking pans. After they're baked and cooled, I put twenty at a time in large Ziploc bags and pop them in the freezer. Then they're ready, willing and able anytime.*My note: I make a large batch of sauce and meatballs and freeze it for easy dinners. A great way to freeze it to freeze it in containers until hard. then pop the "sauce cube" out of the container and put into a Ziploc bag or if you have a vacuum sealer system seal them in baggies to store in the freezer.

No comments: