Sunday, March 16, 2008

San Marzano Tomato Soup

Having a craving for tomato soup and no can of Campbells in sight I figured I would make my own. I googled a few recipes and checked my Joy of Cooking for some ideas. I didn't have all the ingredients for the recipes, but I would have to, as Tim Gunn says, "make it work". My father once told me some things aren't worth making from scratch, he said tomato soup was one of them. I have to disagree!INGREDIENTS3/4 cup onion1 rib celery1 bay leaf28 oz can of San Marzano tomatoes15 oz can of tomato sauce2 cups chicken bouillon (stock, broth, whatever)1 cup instant rice1/2-1 cup of milk1 teaspoon of baking sodasalt & pepper to tasteMETHOD3/4 cup chopped onion1 rib chopped celerya bay leafSautee the above in vegetable oil until everything is soft, remove the bay leaf.Add one 28 oz can of San Marzano (DOP) tomatoes, I used peeled plum tomatoes.Use your spatula to chop up the tomatoes in the pot. Cook the tomatoes down until you can draw your spatula across the pot and the tomatoes leave a "path".Add the tomato sauce, bouillon and rice. You don't have to add the rice, but I thought it would be a nice touch. Once the rice is cooked then add the milk. You can leave this out too if you want. Lastly I added some baking soda to cut the acidity.I don't have a picture, but it is yummy!

No comments: